Search results

William Rawson Croggon MA (Cantab)
William Rawson Croggon MA (Cantab) (20091042)
William Croggon is a member of the family that owned and operated the Manor Tannery and he was Chairman of the Parish Council 1979 - 1985. (Parish Council)
Vernan Richards
Vernan Richards (20091040)
Vernan Richards was Chairman of the Parish Council. If anyone has further information about Mr Richards or can tell us when his term of office was, we would very much like to know - please contact us. (Parish Council)
Dr Stewart
Dr Stewart (20091032)
Dr Stewart was the long-time GP in Grampound and lived at Tremethick. He was also Chair of the Parish Council. If you know any more details about Dr Stewart, please contact us with your information. (Parish Council)
Employees of Trewithen Estate c1900
Employees of Trewithen Estate c1900 (20091030)
All these men, except G Watts who came from Probus, are thought to have been Grampound men. (Parish Council)
Grampound Association Football Club 1910
Grampound Association Football Club 1910 (20091029)
Those pictured are - Knowles, H Hill, H Chalk, W Coade, M Knowles, J Teague, F Mitchell, W Devonshire, T Mannell, J Nancarrow, H Coade, C Hugh, L Croggon, L. This is an identical picture to 20092040. (Paynter)
Mr Stephen Teague
Mr Stephen Teague (20091025)
Mr Teague was Clerk to the Parish Council. We would like to know more details about him and when his term of office was. If you know, please tell us! Email - heritage@grampound.org.uk (Parish Council)
Chairman of the Parish Council
Chairman of the Parish Council (20091024)
This is one of many portraits of past Chairmen of the Parish Council that hangs in the Council Chamber above the Heritage Centre in the Town Hall. We do not know who this individual is - if you do, please tell us! Email - heritage@grampound.org.uk (Parish Council)
Chairman of the Parish Council
Chairman of the Parish Council (20091023)
This is one of many portraits of past Chairmen of the Parish Council that hangs in the Council Chamber above the Heritage Centre in the Town Hall. We do not know who this individual is - if you do, please tell us! Email - heritage@grampound.org.uk (Parish Council)
Chairman of the Parish Council
Chairman of the Parish Council (20091022)
This is one of many portraits of past Chairmen of the Parish Council that hangs in the Council Chamber above the Heritage Centre in the Town Hall. We do not know who this individual is - if you do, please tell us! Email - heritage@grampound.org.uk (Parish Council)
Top of Fore Street
Top of Fore Street (20091012)
Top of Fore Street looking west. The Post Office, in 2009 Hollies Store and Post Office, can be seen on the right. Note the lower level of the road than now on the left. Pedestrians seem untroubled by the possibility of road traffic! The Manor House and Croggon's Tannery office can be seen on the left a little down the hill. (Paynter)
Fore Street looking West
Fore Street looking West (20091008)
Fore Street looking west down the hill in Fore Street. Chains around Bonython suggest that this was pre-WW2. (Paynter)
The Hollies
The Hollies (20091007)
The Hollies engulfed by a shrub. Looking uphill towards the eastern end of the village. Pre motor traffic probably. (Paynter)
Top of Fore Street looking west
Top of Fore Street looking west (20091004)
Top of Fore Street looking west from just below the sub Post Office which was then in the present (2008) antiques shop. The Town Hall clock shown is the old octagonal one that was replaced in the late 1890s. (Paynter)
Grampound Bridge 1957
Grampound Bridge 1957 (20091001)
Bottom of Fore Street looking west in 1957, prior to the demolition of the cottages on the right. The board advertising camping referred to the summer camp site owned by the Richards family and now the site of a row of large houses on the left of Mill Lane as one leaves Fore Street. (Paynter)
Grampound with Creed School
Grampound with Creed School (20090197)
An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. Grampound with Creed Junior and Infants School built in 1869. The present large window under the gabled section was probably installed c1900 to replace a smaller one. The school stands on the line of the road leading to the earlier bridge over the River Fal that was replaced in 1834; ‘Old Hill’ was then the main road to Truro. (Oliver)
The Almshouses
The Almshouses (20090194)
An original drawing by Mary Oliver. The 18th century Almshouses that used to stand in Mill Lane. They were built on the site of a 14th century Lazar House ie house for lepers. The Almshouses were demolished in 1960. The Doctor’s surgery now stands on the site. (Oliver)
Constable's Staff
Constable's Staff (20090192)
Borough of Grampound Constable’s Staff 1797. It is of black painted wood but shows the remains of what appears to have been gold lettering etc. An original drawing by Mary Oliver. (Oliver)
Millennium Photo
Millennium Photo (20090182)
Grampound Millennium Photograph 2000. (Oliver)
Hollies Store
Hollies Store (20090180)
Hollies Store and Post Office. An original drawing for the Booklet ‘Grampound with Creed’ published in 1992 by Amy Bane and Mary Oliver. In 2008 the Post Office and Shop was still flourishing and being run by Graham and Jenny Gingell. (Oliver)
Trevillick House
Trevillick House (20090176)
A group of adults and children outside Trevillick House, Fore Street, Grampound. The Town Hall clock dates this picture before c1894. (Oliver)
The Town Hall
The Town Hall (20090175)
Children outside the Town Hall and St Nun’s Church c1894-1918. (Oliver)
The Town Hall
The Town Hall (20090173)
The Town Hall showing the old clock that was replaced following a donation by Rev Charles Henry Vivian in 1894. The plaque acknowledging this gift can now be seen on this elevation above that commemorating the Grampound war-dead of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945. (Oliver)
Truro Horse Bus
Truro Horse Bus (20090172)
Will Croggon with the Truro horse bus outside the village school. This photograph was probably taken before c1900 when the windows in the school were enlarged by being heightened. See 20090156 for more details. (Oliver)
Croggon's Tannery 1960
Croggon's Tannery 1960 (20090114)
Ron Hicks and Ponto Priddle at Croggon's Tannery in 1960. They are placing a 'bend' of leather into the pit for curing; the pit contained an oak-bark solution. (Hicks)
Home Guard 1945
Home Guard 1945 (20090111)
Photograph of Grampound home guard. (Hicks)
Bowls players 1925
Bowls players 1925 (20090110)
This was at the site of the old bowling green, Quarry Parc in Creed Lane where the club was located between 1921and 1927. The Bowling Club moved to its present home in 1927. On the left in the back row stands Mr Ralph James; he had been affected by polio and went everywhere by horse. The third from the right in the back row (wearing flat cap) is Mr Cundy, whose blacksmith's forge was located at the foot of Old Hill. (Hicks)
Football club 1950s
Football club 1950s (20092044)
Devonshire Mannell, Raymond; Pollard, Bill; Rowe, Ernie; Priddle, George; Allen, Tom; Paynter, Roger; Richards, Douglas; Hicks, Ron; Mitchell, Johnstone; Blake, Alvin (Paynter)
Bowling club 1950
Bowling club 1950 (20090092)
The Bowling Club c1950. The person on the front left is Lewis Mannell of Glen View on Old Hill. (Hicks)
Bowling club in the press
Bowling club in the press (20090091)
Newspaper article about Bowling Club 60th anniversary in 1987. This includes the history of the Bowls Club. (Hicks)
Bowling club 60th
Bowling club 60th (20090090)
Bowling Club 60th anniversary 1987. Pictured are (left to right) Tony Mogford, Vera Webb, Ron Hicks, Marie Jo James, Sheila Williams, Cliff Webb, Clem Knowles and Cyril Waters. (Hicks)
previous next